Friday, March 20, 2009

Senior Year, 2nd Trimester, 1st Hour (Blog 10: School Lesson)

The most important thing that I have ever learned in school was not just one lesson it was a class that gave me an unforgettable experience that I will always cherish. In Mrs. Sterling-Haynes 1st hour African-American Literature I remember every lesson and every discussion because of the life lessons given to me. I absolutely loved that class it was by far the greatest learning experience I have ever had. In that class I read The Narrative of Frederick Douglass, learned about the perceptions towards African-Americans, and learned about white privilege. However it is not the lessons that made this class phenomenal it was the interactive activities we did. In African-American Literature I got to play a slave and got a slight glimpse into the harsh and embarrassing treatment enslaved Africans were forced to endure. Also I got to participate in The African-American Living Wax Museum where I got to portray Michelle LaVaughn Obama, the first lady of the United States. I loved the discussions we would have the controversial topics and the silly ones. My fondest memory of that class was the last day, the exam day when we all sat around in a circle and everyone wrote one topic of discussion on a piece of paper, then we put it in a woven basket and just randomly drew topics and discussed them for five minutes. That was by far the best experience I believe I will ever get from Romulus. I absolutely adore Mrs. Sterling-Haynes for the unforgettable lessons, and experiences. Her words of wisdom will always live with me. I'll cry whenever I think about that class because I miss it so much. I feel every student should be required to take that class with her. =] + -ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment